Saturday, May 31, 2008

New York Adventure - May 1, 2007






Here is my post I did back last year on going to NYC. I gotta say that this was one of the best trips ever!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New York Baby!
Well, back from NYC and what a great fantastic time I had. I love NewYork. People complain about the noise, crime and crowds. I thrived on the noise and crowds and we encountered no crime. It was all good.
Friday started bright and early on a trip to Anita's house where we would be using her car to drive to Buffalo. After arriving at 5:50am we were on our way at 6:00am. The drive to Buffalo was full of lots of laughs and revelations about each others lives. All of our fun times came to a screeching halt at the border crossing. The customs agent that we got was a real prick. He literally interrogated us issuing out questions at a record clip. After our encounter with him, we were both left shaken. I mean, we were only going into your country for a few days to shop! I know we do not look like terrorists. It was all very disconcerting let me tell you.
Anyway, after that we drove to the airport. Now, all these I-90's andI-290's was weird. Why can't highways in Buffalo just be simple. It was a bit confusing at times but we made it fine. After dropping the car off at the parking deport, we were whisked off to the airport. This time, airport customs was fine and no one made us feel like we were doing something wrong. The flight to Newark was a bit gross in that there was a lot of turbulence and the woman sitting beside Anita kept budding into our conversations. No one was impressed and no matter how much we tried to ignore her, she would not take the hint.
After that rocky ride we found our shuttle cab that would take us and others into Manhattan. Now, let me tell you, if you have never been driven in New York before, you are in for a real treat. Honestly, I spent like 95% of the ride gasping in horror. I was astonished by the way in which the driver drove! Pedestrians that were crossing in the street were perilously close to being hit. But, as I later learned, that is the culture in New York. No one cares: drivers nor the people on foot. Cars do not follow the lineson the roads and everyone follows their own rules. People sit on their horns as if it is a sport. People crossing the street neither look up nor down while doing so; they follow their own lines. I am surprised that I did not see an accident while there.
After finally checking into our hotel, we were a bit tired but said screw being tired and immediately headed out. After heading into the cool and slightly scary subway, we jumped the 1 train to Times Square. Now, I have tell ya, I love, love Times Square. When I saw the electric billboards, a smile almost split my face. I just couldn't believe I was in New York. I was also marveled at the crowd. There was so much people. Crazy amounts of people. I actually thrive in large crowds so this was entertainment at it's best for me. After snapping a million pics and smiling like a fool, we walked all over the place and settled on a bistro off 5th ave for lunch. I had a Panini for the first time. Then we headed out to shop! Anita had a field day. I promised myself that I would not shop on this trip. I was there to site see and not spend money on clothing etc., only on eats.
After much shopping and picture taking, we landed at a great sushi place on 8th and Broadway for dinner. Great food, great company and great atmosphere. What else could a person ask for. However, after 8hrs of travel and 6hrs of shopping, we were tired. We hopped on the train bound for uptown and immediately crashed at the hotel. Phew, what a day.
Saturday began early. Anita and I had discussed the night before that we would sleep in until like 9 and then head out Saturday morning. That did not happen. We were both up at 6:30! What the hell is that? I guess we were too excited about being in such a fast-paced city to spend our time sleeping. Boring. We were up, showered and out by 8:30 or so. After purchasing a day pass on the Metro, we were off. Today we took the A train down to Wall Street. After eating a quick but very filling breakfast on some small street in the Wall Street district, we headed out. We first hit Battery Park where we had planned on taking a ferry to Liberty Island. Ah, after assessing a line that would result in a minimum 3hr wait, I took a picture of Lady Liberty from afar and headed out on more exciting adventures. There was no way I wanted to spend my morning in some line. Whatever!
Next was walking Wall Street. I was really impressed. I love money so being around this place, set my blood a-runnin'. We finally made it to the location of where the Twin Towers used to stand. Even before I was told by Anita where it was, I felt that we were close. While walking up to the spot, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and cold bumps covered my body. There is just something there. The souls of the thousands that died still linger there. The feeling was surreal. After reading the displays (they have the events leading up to the horrible tragedy that day on mounted on boards on a gate in front of ground zero)I was left thoroughly depressed and sad. I kept looking around and I just could not fathom the hatred one must have in their hearts to inflict so much pain. After a while, I had to get out of there. I was feeling way too much--nothing good. Even though it was depressing, I am grateful to see the progression of the new tower and that yes indeed,the city is on the mend.
We then took the subway into Soho. Now, that was an experience. Soho reminded me very much of Toronto's Cabbagetown. Cabbagetown was a run-down community inhabited by squalors and "undesirables" until the'80's. The city decided to do a Cabbagetown reconstruction as part of a city project. 30 years later, you have to be rich, snobby and wear Birkenstocks in order to live in Cabbagetown. The story is similar to Soho. It is full of rich people who look bored half the time and can drop huge amounts of money like no one's business. I loved being inSoho. There was great art (not that I am into art but it was still fun), great culture and atmosphere.
After Soho, we headed to Rochafella Centre and then Central Park. Since we had such a huge breakfast, we decided to forgo lunch and replace it with healthy ice-cream. Lol. It had to be done. After about 3hrs in wonderous Central Park: I truly think that park is wonderful. You can jog, sit, take buggy rides, walk for hours, get lost, play baseball and other games in acres and acres of green; what is not to like. After we rested and drank in the wonder that was Central Park, we had our ice-cream lunch, then headed out for more shopping. We took the subwayto 76th and shopped for a few hours. It was great. Once again i stuck to my guns and did not buy any clothing.
Tonight we wanted to eat at a nice place so we headed to Times Square again. Once again, I was floored by the place. This time, the pedestrian traffic was so thick, that at one point, for about 30 seconds, we did not move. There was too much people so we were all at a stand-still. Hundreds of us at one corner. I loved it! We found a restaurant on a small obscure street off Times. There they were offering a starter, maincourse, dessert and coffee or tea for $25.00. What is not to like about that? The atmosphere was calming, relaxing and soothing. I had the house salad, chicken parmesan which was served with rotini in a red sauce andfor dessert, chose the chocolate ice-cream and tea.
After we were delightfully full and serene, we once again headed into the hustle and bustle of the city. We then took the B train uptown. After I took some more pics of T.S., we headed to our place, dropped off bags and headed to this great park behind out hotel. I have no idea what the parks name was but it was right beside water, across from New Jersey and was great for walking. We walked and chatted until dark. Then we headed to Starbucks (we had little choice since there is a Starbucks on every other corner-ew) and settled in with soothing cups of tea. Once again we had a great conversation. I don't think I spoke that much to one person in my life! We were there for almost 2hrs! We then headed back to our hotel as our shuttle cab was coming to retrieve us Sunday morning at 5:30am. Yes,part of the great flight & hotel deal we got, included leaving the city super early the last morning.
Walking back to the hotel, I reflected on my time in New York and only had positive great things to say and report on it. At no time did I feel unsafe or scared or threatened. Everyone is too busy and focused on their own personal missions. Even though the beep and blasts of horns were loud and intense, it was still great. If the opportunity ever arrived and I had good accommodations and a super paycheck, I would live in New York in a heart beat.
The next day things went really smooth. The flight was not full so we got to stretch out in our seats. We basically slept the entire way as there was no turbulence. Nice flight. Our drive back to Canadian soil was just as smooth. Our customs officer was severe but nice at the same time. She did her job and we were on our way.
Now, it is back to reality and life in general. I loved it and will return one day. I just have to see more of the world first. All in all,I LOVE NEW YORK!!!

No comments: